10/26/2023, 7:47:37 AM

How to Obtain a Non-Criminal Record in China: A Guide for Expats?


Lucy Tao

Content Manager

If you plan to work or live abroad and require a criminal record check for the past few years, it's much more convenient to obtain one before leaving China. Trying to get it while you're out of the country can be costly and complicated, with agencies quoting prices from 3,000 RMB onwards.
Likewise, if you've been residing in China for some time and are considering a new job, especially in roles like teaching, you might be asked to provide a non-criminal record.
📌 Here's a step-by-step guide on how to get your Criminal Clearance Certificate (officially known as 无犯罪记录证明).
Resided in China for more than 6 months on a temporary or permanent resident permit.
No history of criminal sanctions during your stay.
Keep in mind that there is no central authority in China that issues certificates of non-criminal records covering the entire country. So, the certificate you receive in one city only applies to your time spent there. If you've lived in multiple locations in China, you'll need to obtain separate records from each province.
Visit the Entry-Exit Department: 
The location for obtaining a Non-Criminal Record varies depending on your city. In some cities, you can get it at the local police station, while in others, it's available at the Public Notary office. In Shanghai, you can get it at the Entry Exit Department.
No appointment is necessary; just visit during their regular office hours and go straight up to the 3rd floor, room 303 marked "Overstay."
Prepare the Required Documents:
  • Original Passport (if the record period includes time on your old passport, bring that too).
  • Copy of the first page of your passport.
  • Copies of all China visa pages from your passports covering the entire non-criminal record period.
  • Processing Time: The typical processing time for a non-criminal record certificate is 15-20 working days, excluding mailing time. So, it's advisable not to wait until the last minute before leaving the country.
Get It Notarized: If you intend to use this document outside of China, you may need to get it notarized by the consulate of the country where you plan to use it. Make sure to check with your respective consulate for specific requirements.
We hope this guide helps you navigate the process of obtaining your non-criminal record with ease. If you have any questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out. Safe travels! 
Lucy Tao

Content Manager

Latest articles

Interesting articles